From Our Members

Printed Circuit Board

Ask yourself, what is the most fundamental building block of electronics? I propose that interconnects is the answer. Interconnects dominates the subject matter of IEEE Electronics Packaging Society (EPS) publications.  So the next question is what the first revolutionary step in evolution of interconnects? It is the printed circuit board.

On my bookshelf, I have a copy of the book by Clyde Coombs titled Printed Circuits Handbook. I have relied on this book as my primary reference since the 1980s. The first line of the second chapter (written by Dr. Hayao Nakahrar), credits Paul Eisler with the invention of printed wiring technology. Fortunately, the inventor of the printed circuit board (PCB) published an autobiography. The inventor of the PCB was Paul Eisler. He was born in Vienna, Austria in 1907 and died in London, England in 1992. His book is titled My Life with the Printed Circuit which was published in 1989, and reading this book explains much about working in electronics and electronics packaging.

Read More