Utah Section Proposes IEEE Milestone for Early Computer Graphics Work in Utah

Daniel Donahoe

Past Chair IEEE Utah Section and Milestone Proposer 

I learned that I had been elected to serve as Chair of the IEEE Utah Section 2020-2021 on November 10, 2019. As I had served on the IEEE-USA Board 2016-2017 and completed a statistical membership review of US members, I had insight into membership challenges. Preparing to assume this section office, I found that the section’s chapter of the largest of IEEE’s technical societies had gone inactive (i.e., “sunk”), the Computer Society. As the Utah business community considers computing its strong point, I struggled with leadership ploys that might raise this sunken (computer) ship. Luckily, I attended the Region 6 OpCom in Los Angeles in early February of 2020. I knew Brian Berg from the Santa Clara Section when I served in SCV/EPS chapter roles up to chair in 2007, and I knew Brian had been deeply immersed in several meaningful IEEE Milestones. I proposed a Utah Milestone for early computer graphics work in Utah, and Brian vigorously agreed. But I had no idea of the arduous process laying in wait. I should have known, because I do recall SCV’s Dick Ahrons once so commenting at a section meeting.

Read more